Monday, July 15, 2019

दिया दूर नहीं जात

I may have told you earlier, maybe somewhere on this blog or some day in thoughts... that I often live my life by simple adages... some simple rules or some simple ideas to live by. One of which is this - दिया दूर नहीं जात ! The full couplet (दोहा) from Bihari (बिहारी) is as follows:

ऋतु वसन्त जाचक भया, हरस दिए द्रुम पात 
ताते नव-पल्लव भया, दिया दूर नहीं जात। 

It means - when the season of spring comes as a vagrant, the tree parts with (as if donates) its yellow leaves with glee. As a result of this largesse, the tree gets new leaves when spring comes in full glory. So whatever you give doesn't go away from you, it comes back.

It is this last phrase - whatever you give doesn't go away from you, it comes back - that has often stopped me from doing wrong and often inspired me to be the better person than I would have been otherwise. So why this sudden recall? Well, on one of my worst professional days' morning, when nothing was moving and old despairs were haunting back, someone knocks on my room. That someone just wanted to say thanks and a few good words for what I had done for that someone a while back. While there was no expectation of any thanks when I guided that someone, it felt good to know that I have not totally wasted my time here.

If you noticed, I may have told you earlier, maybe somewhere on this blog or some day in thoughts, that before I die, I just want to make some positive changes in the world... well, if not for everyone like a superhero, at least for some individual's worlds! And when I finally die, I just want to leave in peace, leaving people with a thought that he was a good man, not totally in vain.

In that moment, that day, I although smiled but I almost cried somewhere deep inside... for in that moment, I knew that I have not lived in vain. For in that moment, you see, whatever I had given, came back to me! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails