I usually abstain from political writings on this blog; however, I couldn't sleep last night! Reason - the massive victory of AAP in Delhi state assembly elections. This event was not a one-off event but a symptom of a deeper rot in the societal and national mindset. It left me thinking that how Indians can be so blind to elect a party with antecedents of supporting Kashmiri separatists, undermining Indian police and judiciary in Batla House encounter case, promising free stuff in a place where the socialist era memories shall be most vividly remembered, and mocking the constitutional structure with lame vigilantism, not to mention . On the other hand, why a party like BJP is decimated? Here are a few thoughts:
Why BJP lost:
Why BJP lost:
- BJP didn't lose in a real sense - their vote share is intact. It is the Congress, which has ably shifted it's almost entire vote share to AAP. But that is little consolation because in our democracy, seats matter, not the shares or margins. Moreover, this has given a formula for other forthcoming elections.
- The weight of expectations from Modi government weighed heavy on them. While Modi has performed well, there is no check-list of achievements released. Therefore, even the supporters are confused if there are solid achievements or not.
- The anti-BJP media magnified statements from fringe elements. Frankly, many people in Unnav won't know Sakshi Maharaj but his random statements were overblown repeatedly.
- They didn't do much of the booth level management or the ground level campaigning or the media management. Their own leaders' bitterness and imposition of Kiran Bedi did more damage.
- BJP doesn't understand something very simple - It cannot run a negative campaign in India. People favour the guy who claims victimhood most easily and readily. On the other hand, a personal attack, vitiation, and ungrounded - unproven claim of foreign funding or mockery do not help.
Why AAP won:
- The short answer to that is that Indians as a mass are idiot, selfish, and wicked.
- The historical answer is to that is they have always traded national and long-term interest for personal and immediate gain.
- The complicated answer to that is that right from media houses to international circuits are getting jittery of Modi's policies and internal (5 state elections won) to international show of strength. Sadly, Indians only don't get it.
- Barenaked Muslim polarisation - it is time to understand that Muslims have chosen to be a vote-bank and they voted en-masse to anyone who could beat BJP. This has been happening in UP for the past 15 odd years, where Milli Council (a muslim religious body) issues area wise list of strongest candidate against BJP and all the muslims through Friday prayers are told to vote for that candidate irrespective of party as long as it is non-BJP.
- The short-term gains and freebies are a hogwash and not sustainable. However, the problem is deeper than that. I've got stories like doctors have contributed huge money and efforts to AAP. The reason: BJP is planning to bring their cash transactions and black money in tax net but AAP has no such plans. The same goes for traders, transporters, hoteliers, lawyers, and so on. Moreover, the government employees are extremely unhappy with BJP - they don't like biometric attendance and on-time discipline imposed by Modi.
What Modi shall do now:
- Modi has been trying a lot of soft-power, moral suasion and mindset change to counter the issues like women empowerment, cleanliness, and discipline in public life. What he doesn't get is that when Indians didn't follow Gandhi on all this, why would they be swayed by Modi! What Indians want is to be ruled by an iron fist - yes, the detractors will decry him on this but then, they would always decry him.
- Control the media. Yes, it sounds sinister or against freedom of speech but we have to recognize a very fundamental problem with today's media and common public - they are brainwashed through the Indira Gandhi years of re-written textbooks and vitiated leftist mindset. A soft campaign or a logical talk by BJP is not going to change anything. This change requires force. The leftist brainwash is too strong to be changed by mere logical arguments. They have made idiocy a matter of faith. Only a counter-brainwash can change that.
- Expose anti-India elements and corrupt elements at the earliest. Foreign funding from Gulf countries since 1970s, evangelists, communists - their rackets are no hidden secrets. Expose them and eliminate them - right from land-grabbing Vadra to 1962 China supporting Communists to Naxal supporter AAP to muslim appeaser third-front and so on.
- This leads to the most binding constraint of all. The Indian judicial system is slow and expensive and cumbersome and also, anti-BJP by mindset due to same leftist brainwash. Take some close and good judges in confidence and work to reform the judicial system - the honest and quick judges, quick disposal of cases, scrapping of old and irrelevant laws that are used to delay cases, a thorough re-writing of laws to eliminate the legal loopholes.
- Understand this irony BJP - the nation has displayed an immense amount of patience to Congress rule because they never had any hope from them but the same nation will show no mercy or courtesy of time to you - because they have hope from you. You have to deliver quick results - very quick results.
- The hope of the nation hinges upon you and it may be our last chance. This nation never rallied behind Dahir or Prithviraj Chauhan or Hemu or Peshwa... it will never stand with you either. You will also be deprived of the glory you may deserve but then, you were never aspiring glory, right? You are, like Batman, striving for a good nation and that is what you shall concentrate upon - with an iron fist!