One of my many 'psychological disorders' is to make lists for everything - ranging from shopping list, academic logs, friends, people I want to kill (this one is in my mind only so that I can tell everybody that they are not on the list when actually they are), superpowers I want, books wish-list, CDs collection, financial statements, daily works, things I'll do after assuming dictatorship of India, things I'll do after I win KBC. Hmmm.... realizing that there are so many lists, now I want to make a list of all the lists.
But for the time being, I am going to make a really serious list (i.e. - serious in others' eyes too). This one is about a few things that I want to do before I do the thing that can be done as easily as lying down - (In words of Woody Allen, "On the plus side, death is one of the few things that can be done just as easily lying down").
1) I want to learn more languages - at least one Indian and one foreign language. Bengali and German are on my top priority because of their rich literature, heritage, and my present resources. After that, I may also think of French,Urdu, Tamil, and Hebrew in that order.
2) I want to travel. I mean, to nowhere in particular but to everywhere - African safari, Taj Mahal, Germany, Paris, Kashmir, Italy, Scandinavia, Egypt, Southern tip of India, North Eastern India, Australia, Mauritius, Goa, Israel, Badrinath-Kedarnath, Rajasthan to name a few. I don't know if ever I'll see even a small subset of this whole long list but nonetheless, I enjoy the dream.
3) I want to learn singing. I know I am too much out of tune (and all my victims can testify it) and at this age, it is too difficult to find a teacher to improve my vocal cords (I hope they are there, though my vocal abilities don't suggest so) but still, this is my wish list and if nothing, I'll learn on my own (as if that would help).
4) Some sketching and painting is also on my list. I still remember when I failed in drawing exam in class 6th - I got 11 out of 50 (and I wonder HOW??) but after that, I got this pushing feel to prove that I know drawing. So I drew and sketched and painted a lot. I passed my drawing exams easily afterwards but I still have not reached my satisfaction levels. Hence, it is still on my list.
5) Cooking. I know my taste buds fail me and I do not have an iota of an idea of those exotic dishes and all I can make is good for survival only (if you take out the enjoyment part of it). But for once, I want to cook some really good things on my own - without any guidance and supervision. I know I can do that but just waiting for a good kitchen and some free time for experimenting.
6) Although this one is coming pretty late in the list but it doesn't at all reflect the importance I attach to it - writing. I want to write some good papers, a good book on a few subjects of my interest, and last but not the least - a memoir - sorts of autobiography (although it is my hyper-optimism that people would be interested in the story of my life when nobody is interested in my life).
7) Mathematics and computers. I know just some bits and pieces of both but what I want is proficiency - at least as good as a good practitioner if not as good as a theorist. Yeah, I know my resume says that I taught maths to graduate MBA aspirants and that I know some 3-4 programming softwares but as Calvin said, "Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
There are few more things that I 'want' to do but since I was trying to contain myself within the limits of 'possibilities', I'll not enlist invisibility and time-machine like 'wants' here.